Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Creative process


Okay, you are all overwhelming me by showing that you care that an author has been commissioned to write a sequel to an original series he had nothing to do with.

If you're not readers, let me put it into terms you understand. Let's see...television. What if they took one of your favourite shows, say, Beverley Hills 90210, and they changed the cast and made it a show about exactly the same things. Oh, right, they did that.

Okay. Let's put it in musical terms. How about, if they took maybe an existing band, where the front man dies, and instead of letting the band retire with dignified closure, they had a contest for a new lead singer. Okay, so I loved Rockstar INXS so I can't say I totally disagree with what they did there; but in terms of supporting my argument you get my drift...

Or if the designer for a label died and the label kept going...you say that happens all the time?


BOOKS are different.

Books ARE different.

Books are DIFFERENT.


You can't start something new and say it's a continuation; you can't be someone else entirely and continue a train of thought or see a creative process through.


Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I don't think so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't read much, but here's another analogy for you:
Let's say I live in Utah, and I decide that I need to write a sequel to the New Testament, and then find a way to package it as "missing writings" by one of the big stars in that book. Oh wait........

Anonymous said...

Books are not different. Go visit the science fiction section of a bookstore, and tell me how many Star Trek novels you see written by Gene Roddenberry, or Star Wars novels written by George Lucas... one could make the argument that the original creators had some part in approving all these other volumes of work.... but Roddenberry is not around anymore to continue to approve things. Somebody owns the rights to the "intellectual properties" and says, what, you wanna write a continuation and use our brand name and give us a way to keep milking the same cow? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

spinregina said...

Ah...science fiction is so not my genre (which is odd, because is that not the category that THGTTG falls into?)...nonetheless; is there maybe a line that is drawn (and by whom?) when a series or an author becomes more commodity than simply author. For instance, I can't imagine anyone trying to write sequels or as Margaret Atwood, but I can see it with Danielle Steele.

I love the Utah thing...first time I've laughed out loud today.

spinregina said...

I think, after thinking, that I would make the argument that someone creative, who comes up with an idea, is less...invested...than someone who comes up with a book, and all the intricacies involved, and the voice. So a book is different. A Star Wars book is going to be different if it's written by someone different...entirely.