Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ramblings




We've been sick in our house, battling several versions of cold and flu for over a month now. With children I think it's pretty much par for the course.

But this morning I woke up when my alarm went off, and for the first time in over a month, didn't roll over and shut it off, succumbing to another hour or so. This morning I got up, drank my hot lemon water, and worked.

Starting my day like this sets me up to win. I know it. But some mornings, actually, most, lately, have been rather the complete opposite. Waiting for Stella to come in, stuffed animal in each arm, with the 'need to pee now' urgency that really only a small child can have. And then I heave myself out of bed, on the proviso that it always feels better once you are up.


It's true, for the most part, it does feel better once you just start doing. Making breakfast, turning on the coffee machine, all those tasks that are now (almost) rote; a person can forget how miserable they feel as they blow their nose for the 40th time.

But when you finally feel better, when you know it isn't a one-off and that tomorrow will be the same, it's like winning a little mini lottery.

Speaking of lotteries, it has become ritual that our behaviour-based Slurpee treat post Saturday ballet is accompanied by the purchase of a Set for Life lottery ticket. I thought it only fair to share with Jade how I will take my payout, if (when?) it comes.

There are two choices: first, to have a lump sum one million dollar payout, or second, to take weekly payments of $1000 for 25 years. I know that Jade would take the million, no question. Not for me, nope. I would quite enjoy that little 'win' every single week. What an upper! Imagine. Every single week, if something goes wrong or a bad day comes along, I can enjoy that thousand bucks in my bank account.

Yeah, I could handle that.

No comments: