Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Time for....


Today is the first day that I have guilt free child care. A whole six hours to myself. The little one went with the big one to daycare.

In anticipation of this momentous occasion I thought of every single thing I could possibly fit into this time, including work. Shopping, long leisurely lunch with a girlfriend, yoga, pedicure, brow correction, errands....the list was growing and growing.

I've gotten better at this over the years, this over-estimating how much time I have and piling more and more on until if the list were an image it would be one of those circus cars with the clowns piling out and out.

As I narrowed what I could accomplish down into reality I remain happy with the result. A few hours of uninterrupted work, a blissful yoga class, eyebrow taming, and one appointment for which pantyhose is a necessity. I'll try to make sure I don't wipe someone's mouth for them and stay focused on the task at hand, things that can be difficult for a mother who works alone in front of a computer.

5 comments:

Lady Glamis said...

Ah... mine is two. I am awaiting the day she goes to school... All that time for me! I think piling on too much would really topple me over, so I am glad you are keeping your list short. Using your time wisely is hard to do sometimes! Priorities are hard to prioritize, and sometimes we get lost in all the random things we want to do.

I have given up a lot of hobbies to focus on two main hobbies: photography and writing. Hopefully one day, my life will cycle around to some others that are waiting in the background. :)

Good luck with your time!

lotusgirl said...

I totally underestimate how long something is going to take. It has gotten to be a running joke with my husband. I'm such an optimist at how much I can actually accomplish in 2/4/5 hours even 10 or 15 minute spans. Reality kills me every time.

I'm glad you had a productive fun time.

spinregina said...

I've gotten better at the time thing, but only in the last year or so. I still err on the side of too much to do...maybe that will never change.

Lady G - I hear of what you speak. Time and place, that's what I say. It will come; our freedom to do other things.

Lotus - You are my husband. He has no concept of how much time takes to do anything. Example: 5:47 p.m.
Him: Do you think I can make it to Home Depot?
Me: Sure! What time do they close?
Him: 6
Me: Well, you might want to go tomorrow; considering it takes 15 minutes to get there...
Him: I can make it.
[5:48 p.m.]
Me: Buddy, the roads are bad...
Him: [sulking] I could have gone. I've made it there before....

Anonymous said...

I am totally with you on this one. I have to admit, though, that I never gave it a second thought. Going back to work, I mean. I am not cut out AT ALL to stay home with my kids, and I love them dearly. Not for everybody. So for me, it happened sooner and it was the best thing for everybody involved. My kids are in high school now and are great, happy, well adjusted children. Yours will be too, you are obviously smart, and you and they will be just fine.

intelligence said...

vuitton handbags
louis vuitton
hermes
hermes kelly bag
hermes bags