Friday, February 20, 2009

Interview


Interviews (and top 25 lists) seem to be all the rage, even the Globe did a piece on it last week. To get back into the swing of things I sat down with the Internet last week and answered a few questions.


Internet:

We've missed you - where have you been?

Spin Regina:

Immersed in the world of work. Planning, facilitating, meetings, going for lunch. That sort of thing. I missed you too.

Internet:

I noticed you didn't put a comma after "you" in that sentence. You over that?

Spin Regina:

No, not at all. Still a huge pet peeve. But, like not drinking milk, I'm trying to do things that are good for me. I'd hate not to be published because I can't learn a new skill.

Internet:

Last you were here you were ranting about childcare, Gwynneth, and some sobbing book you read.

Spin Regina:

Yeah, not much has changed here. Childcare, or the lack thereof, is still annoying the bejesus out of me and I am considering starting some sort of campaign but I would have to give up either sleep or eating to find the time and as I went to bed at 9:00 last night and I ate an entire container of 8% fat yogurt last week I can't see either happening.

It's a good thing I went to bed at 9; the baby was up from 10 till god knows so at least I got an hour in.

Gwynneth hasn't been bugging me as much because along with work comes a marked decrease in the amount of thinking about frivolous and useless things like GOOP. Seriously. Who thinks GOOP is a good name? I suggest that anything that rhymes with POOP be removed immediately from consideration just based on simple marketing know-how.

Internet:

I'm sorry your baby is sick. Have you been doing anything fun lately?

Spin Regina:

I've been eating out for lunch a lot. That's my reward for this working business. I figure if I spend every red cent before I even get home my husband will see the value in painting my office and letting me get a decent desk.

Today I ate at a fabulous one of those combo eateries; part lounge, part food. Bitten. Was delicious but very very cold. Not the food; that was the appropriate temperature. The air was icy. Apparently there is no insulation in the outside wall. This is something to consider, as temperatures in this neck of the woods have been hovering around frigid for months. That reminds me that I was supposed to be on a beach right about now. Budget cuts loomed loud in our house. That reminds me. Someday I'll tell you my Ikea story.

Internet:

Wow. The life you lead.

Spin Regina:

I know; it's hard. I can barely figure out what to leave out so you're not jealous.

Internet:

So what's up with the campaign?

Spin Regina:

I got quite far, actually. I Google'd Michael Ignatieff, found his website, opened up a comment window and typed, gosh, I don't know, six words on my disappointment with Steve-o. I had big plans to ask pointed questions about the Liberal childcare plan but was interrupted by a small but powerful subject who let me know in uncertain terms that she was not interested in wearing a diaper.

Internet:

And the sob inducing book? What are you reading now?

Spin Regina:

My good friend Amazon sent a few more last week so the pile on my nightstand is growing. I refuse to dig in, though, until I finish the bodice-ripping-time-travel-historical-romance that is six hundred pages of tiny words. At the rate I'm going I won't get into the newest Wally Lamb until June. Maybe it isn't even his newest anymore.

I'm glad you brought that up, though. I've thought about that book every day since I finished. Thirty percent of that might be that it's sitting on the console table in the living room but nevermind, I think of it. I wrote the author a note telling her how much it meant and she wrote back. I'll print my note but I'm saving her lovely words in a file called Private. I know, who knew I had one?

Internet:

Anything else before we close?

Spin Regina:

I'm ripping apart my book. The one I wrote. To shreds, it feels like. Feels pretty good. I remember when this happened with my honours thesis. Thank god I don't have to use a printer with those tiny holes on the sides. I had a special pair of tweezers reserved just for that blasted machine. On the other hand, now I have to hand feed my printer because he is very sensitive to paper weight.

It's good to be back.





2 comments:

Lisa and Laura said...

We missed you! Glad you're back on the blogwagon. Ripping apart your book is fun, isn't it? We're in the throes of that right now, although we're at a marked disadvantage not knowing what the heck we're doing...

GOOP, I can't even see that word without getting inexplicably annoyed. Do you have any idea what it stands for? I still haven't figured it out...

Lady Glamis said...

So glad to see you back! Looks like your internet has a great personality. :)