Thursday, February 05, 2009

ishowyousay, ranting?


Gosh, I've been gone so long my fingers are aching. I've been busy, you know, just incredibly busy. It's been a whirlwind, truly, to have spent the last two weeks sitting down with Jade and making lists:

What is important to us in a childcare provider?
Do we prefer a home or centre?
What kind of snacks do we want our children to eat?

It has been a pleasure, really, it has, to call up several childcare providers (some in homes, others in schools, still more stand alone) that are all licensed and registered, and schedule convenient appointments where we can drop by to talk child-rearing philosophy and nap time procedures.

I know Jade has been impressed with the overall quality; the highly paid and educated staff who have an obvious affinity for children, the superior grade and selection of food, the endless options as to learning methods and development theories.



As for myself, I feel blessed to be a part of a system where when our country realized that we are in the midst of a labor shortage, and since 50% of the population are women, and traditionally women have borne the brunt of childcare....shall we say...sourcing, I'm grateful for a government that shows foresight and planning and ensures that it is easy for these women to work. That no woman is driving all over town, dropping children off helter-skelter at homes and centres because space available is few and far between.

No, here we are fortunate because not only does our government respect the autonomy of women but it respects the future of our country by treating our children as though they are the most important beings we have. As our future, of course I applaud the efforts the government is making to ensure that Canadian children have access to high quality daycares. And the choice - to be a parent and to not have to take whatever option there is, but to have a voice and a say, wow. It just blows my mind.

It just blows my mind.

4 comments:

lotusgirl said...

I always love a good rant. Sorry the childcare thing is such a bear. Good luck finding the right place. It sounds like you need it.

Carlana said...

I can totally relate. It is tough to decide what to do when you are shaping the most important person in the world. I had a full time live in nanny which didn't work because we didn't like someone living with us. We then had a part-time nanny which costs the same as full-time daycare but I wanted Cali at home with me and be able to see her when I wasn't busy. The nanny needed full-time hours which I definately couldn't justify considering I am only working part-time. I don't think there is ever an easy decision when it comes to the best interest of the little ones and work.

Lady Glamis said...

Good luck with finding the right place. It is good to see you back in the blogosphere at least. We've missed you.

Lisa and Laura said...

Hey, drunky did you delete your red wine post, because I really enjoyed it! Glad to have you back and posting. I missed your perspective.