Tuesday, March 03, 2009

And a sharp turn off the path


This might be a good thing, I'm thinking. Of late (perhaps of always?) this blog has been devoted to, ahem, the lesser. Ranting, raving, and the ridiculous the headliners, and often a good dose of as-far-from real important as as could be.

I have these two people in my life. People. I have to highlight that word, because it's only recently struck me that they are people, not mini-me's or mini-already-exisitings.

At five it's pretty darn apparent that she is her own person. Listing off all the lessons she takes and/or will take, I got to basketball. Basketball has always been a sort of given, as it's her dad's passion. Plus she's nearly my height.

"Basketball?" Her little nose wrinkled and her forehead creased. "I'm not playing basketball, mummy." There are times when her voice is firm and sure, and this was one of them. "I'm going to play golf."

Golf? Golf? Who knew.

We are not golfers. Oh for sure, we have an expensive men's set, along with expensive additions and boxes of pristine white golf balls. Golf shirts in size XXXL, won as doorprizes. I even worked summers at a golf course in high school. But we are not golfers.

The little one is mad for books right now, and when I say mad I'm quite sure it wouldn't be an exaggeration to hint at froth at the mouth. She sits next to me now, with her mullet hair pulled back in a ponytail and her face determined as she flips through the pages, hunting for babies, dogs, and Dora.

"Gook! Gook!" She turns around and backs toward me, bum out in a half crouch, ready to plunk down on my lap. "Go. Go." Her voice is commanding, the way a second child must be in order to get their own attention.

We walked outside after dinner tonight. There are still piles of snow everywhere but the frigid has lifted and now it's just frosty. Cold and all, plus a glass of red on top of the Tylenol yellow pills made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Little one on the toboggan and Miss Five walking beside, we enjoyed the fact that at after six it was still light out.

We've made it. Spring is coming.

[at which point readers hear full course of "Hallelujah"]

7 comments:

Davin Malasarn said...

I think it's cool that your daughter is so opinionated and excited about something. I was a shy kid that just wanted to hide inside all day. I wish I had gotten out more, and though it terrified me, I'm glad my parents forced me to do some activities, like sports and music.

lotusgirl said...

I love the image of the bum coming at your lap and the little one ordering, "Go! Go!" There's a kid after my heart.

Lady Glamis said...

I agree! Yay for spring! Yes! I look forward to it eagerly. :)

Lisa and Laura said...

What is it about 2nd born kids and their books. My #2 is the same way. I love the idea of raising a fellow book worm.

And your oldest sounds like she knows what she wants. You might have a little Tiger in the making. Just think of the scholarship possibilities...

It's still 30 degrees in Cleveland and after our brief sojourn to the Bahamas that feels really, really cold.

Tara Maya said...

Aw, so cute! Mine are 2 and a half and 4 months. The 2 yr old is making his opinions known.

Lady Glamis said...

I nominated you for an award over on my blog. :D

Here

Justus M. Bowman said...

Where have all the cowgirls gone?